- This event has passed.
FREE NARIP Webinar: Co-writing Songs: Legal & Creative Issues -w- Dean Serwin, Esq.
April 24 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Tune in to NARIP’s Webinar
Co-Writing Songs: Legal & Creative Issues
Click HERE to Jump To Registration Below
What happens when two or more people co-write a song? Failure to communicate clearly or agree on splits can result in time-consuming, expensive and unnecessary disputes. Worse, an encumbered copyright cannot be exploited.
Organization and rights designation are vital to license and monetize copyrights. Some of the most common disputes include three versions of the same question about ownership: who, what and how much?
1. Who is the author(s) and therefore an owner?
2. What did you contribute? Did you make a copyrightable contribution or were you just in the room? Did you merely suggest a tweak to what was already there (arrangement vs. songwriting)?
3. Splits: Is everyone equal or did some make a lesser or greater contribution? The answer to #2 can influence this.
And importantly, who will control the copyright?
NARIP brings you music and entertainment attorney Dean Serwin, Esq. who will discuss the most common songwriter disputes, how to avoid them and provide strategies to protect, enhance and exploit your copyrights.
YOU WILL LEARN
- Manage your metadata: who collects, disseminates and updates rights holder info?
- Who should file a copyright registration for a co-written song?
- When to file a copyright registration as a joint or individual work
- Registering with PRO: who should do it and when
- Self-publishing with co-writers
- How to assess split percentages
- Producer participation as a songwriter
- Licensing: who administers and negotiates fees
- What to do when you get a quote request for a co-written song
- Death of co-writer: now what?
- Copyright transfer
- Works for hire
Be prepared to take notes!
SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER (scroll down for profile)
- Dean Sheldon Serwin, Esq., Music & Entertainment Attorney
- Tess Taylor, NARIP President & Moderator
Monday, April 24, 2017
12:00 noon – Program begins (Pacific Standard Time)
1:00p.m. – Audience Q & A
1:30 p.m. – Program ends
CAN’T ATTEND ?
NARIP members who can’t attend can stream the audio on demand within two to three weeks of the program date. Non-members are welcome and to click here to join NARIP now or purchase the audio (select Premium Ticket option below).
On the Internet, join our program from anywhere in the world! You will receive instructions on how to join the online discussion when your registration is complete (just scroll down to RSVP NOW).
All registered attendees will receive an email with a link to view Webinar
about 10 minutes before the start of the event.
- FREE with RSVP for NARIP Members and Non-members (just scroll down)
- $25 for MP3 Pre-Order – Audio From Webinar PLUS bonus Tip Sheet prepared by Dean Serwin, Esq. – just choose PREMIUM TICKET option below
- NARIP reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone.
Because you are registering for this program, we offer you the opportunity to pre-order the MP3 recording of the program for only $20 (regularly $39.95). This will also include digital copies of documents distributed at the program. This program will cover a great deal of information, and so you won’t have to worry about taking notes! To pre-order now, select the Premium Ticket option below, the mastered recording will be emailed to you within 2-3 weeks after our program (if not sooner).
Submit YOUR questions to be addressed during our program, get feedback and recommendations specific to YOUR situation via Twitter and follow us now: @NARIP Feel free to submit questions in advance and/or during the session. Official hashtag for this event is #NARIPcowrite.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Music Rights Holders
- Record & Music Publishing Executives
- Songwriters, Producers, Musicians, Creators
- Music Attorneys
- Artist Managers and Artist Reps
- Anyone who seeks to license and monetize music
FOLLOW US, LIKE US, LOVE US !
TWEET ABOUT OUR SPEAKERS AND EVENT
SOURCES FOR MORE INFO
NOT A NARIP MEMBER?
Not a NARIP member yet? Then what are you waiting for? Join NOW for as low as $9.95 per month and attend this event for the member rate!
TWO WAYS TO REGISTER
1. Online: NARIP.com (just scroll down)
2. Phone: 818-769-7007
NARIP reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone. We appreciate your cooperation.
Call us at 818-769-7007 or email info AT narip DOT com.
Thanks to Ryan at Gratisography.com for great photo!
SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER
Dean Serwin, Esq., Music & Entertainment Attorney
A graduate of UCLA Law School who began his practice of law in 1990, Dean Serwin works primarily in the entertainment industry. His experience prior to establishing his private practice included working for a sole practitioner with several platinum artists, as head of legal for a film and TV production and distribution company, and positions at the Director’s Guild of America, BMI and Capitol Records. Dean has lectured extensively for groups ranging from Art Center film students to Harvard MBAs and from California Lawyers for the Arts conferences to The Learning Annex. Dean’s Hollywood, CA based solo law practice began in 1994 and serves clients in all areas of the music, film, video, TV, internet and distribution businesses including record labels; music publishers; recordings artists; songwriters; music, television and film producers; managers; television, film and internet production and distribution companies; business executives and consultants; authors, clothing companies, as well as others involved within the entertainment industry.
NARIP. Career acceleration.
Get connected. Stay connected.
The National Association of Record Industry Professionals promotes career advancement,
education and good will among record executives. Once music is made, then what?
Then NARIP. Learn, network, market music.