Are you making good deals for yourself and for your clients? Is a bad deal holding you back?
At NARIP’s Art of the Music Deal series featuring mock negotiations of the most important music business deals, you get to meet top industry deal-makers including music and entertainment attorneys, label and music publishing executives, personal artist and producer managers, and producers to hear their in-depth discussion, debate and dissection of key music business deals. No more fear of the fine print! Our experts break it down in easy-to-understand language, with sample agreements and checklists to support your next negotiation.
Top executives wrangle a career-making music producer deal at NARIP’s May 15h program in Atlanta. Most people think they can just hand a negotiation to a lawyer, and leave it at that. But as a professional, you need to understand the process and deal points, too, and what the short- and long-term implications to your artists’ careers may be. In this session, top experts producer-manager Rico Brooks, music and entertainment attorney David Prasse, Esq. and producer-label owner Tanner Hendon discuss key areas of a music producer agreement and negotiate a deal LIVE.
They will give you the inside track on major deal points, what they mean and what leverage you have to negotiate the best possible deal. Most importantly, you will see HOW a producer deal is negotiated and see the process. Get educated about the art of deal making and the right time to make a deal!
Since 2008, NARIP’s Art of the Music Deal series has presented, broken down and explained dozens of important deals in layman’s terms, including:
- 360 record deals
- music publishing
- sponsorship & merchandise
- personal artist management deals
- music producer deals
- and more
As a consequence, hundreds of NARIP members and their clients have made better deals. Producer Manager RicoBrooks – who will speak at NARIP’s program on May 15, 2019 in Atlanta – learned key deal points that he implemented IMMEDIATELY in his business after attending NARIP’s 2017 Mock Negotiation of a Music Producer Deal featuring speakers Evita G. Kaigler, Esq., Kendall A. Minter, Esq. and Julie Kessler Roach, Esq.
Topics at NARIP’s Mock Negotiation & ABCs of a Music Producer Deal:
- Logistics: Where song is recorded, artist approvals, producer deliverables.
- Master Recording: Who will own and control it? What does this include? Exclusive rights to manufacture, distribute and issue master use licenses.
- Splits: Is producer also a songwriter? What percentage, if any, is producer entitled to of the song’s copyright?
- Fees: How, what and when will producer be paid? Up-front and back-end compensation.
- Credit: What specific credit will producer receive?
- General Clauses, Terms & Options: Original work, indemnification and more.
Also to be discussed:
- Producer advance vs. recording fund. Did you know it all comes out of the artist’s recording fund? Producer royalty. Did you know it all comes out of the artist’s royalty?
- Controlled Composition Clause: what you need to know if your producer is also your co-writer. What does the artist’s recording agreement say? This affects the producer’s royalty, royalty accountings, mechanical royalties, CD reductions, “fake” free goods and much more.
- Learn what to ask for and what to avoid in your next deal, walk away from NARIP’s program armed with important checklists and a sample form agreement of a music producer deal
- Direct access + firsthand info = better results FOR YOU
BONUS: Sample music producer form agreement will be provided.
NARIP programs enable a deep dive into important deals and enable audience questions and direct feedback, making them even more valuable.
Most important, attendees meet these key players, paving the way for deals, representation, collaboration and ongoing opportunities, and giving them an edge in a competitive market.
Be prepared to take plenty of notes!