NARIP Members log in to check out and stream this program audio from NARIP’s library. Not a NARIP Member yet? Click HERE to join NOW for as little as $9.95 a month and start streaming immediately!
Photo (L-R): Sean McPherson, NARIP Atlanta Co-Executive Director & Panel Moderator, Primary Talent Buyer at Smith’s Olde Bar, Favorite Son Artist Management; Tanner Hendon, Producer and Founder, Madison Records; music & entertainment attorney David W. Prasse, Esq.; Adella Thomas Management CEO Rico Brooks
This audio program is a recording of NARIP’s panel discussion with top experts producer-manager Rico Brooks, music and entertainment attorney David Prasse, Esq. and producer-label owner Tanner Hendon. They discuss key areas of a music producer agreement and negotiate a deal LIVE. In this program they give you the inside track on major deal points, what they mean and what leverage you have to negotiate the best possible deal. Most importantly, you will hear HOW a producer deal is negotiated and hear the process.
- Logistics: Where song is recorded, artist approvals, producer deliverables.
- Master Recording: Who will own and control it? What does this include? Exclusive rights to manufacture, distribute and issue master use licenses.
- Splits: Is producer also a songwriter? What percentage, if any, is producer entitled to of the song’s copyright?
- Fees:How, what and when will producer be paid? Up-front and back-end compensation.
- Credit: What specific credit will producer receive?
- General Clauses, Terms & Options: Original work, indemnification and more.
Also to be discussed:
- Producer advance vs. recording fund. Did you know it all comes out of the artist’s recording fund? Producer royalty. Did you know it all comes out of the artist’s royalty?
- Controlled Composition Clause: what you need to know if your producer is also your co-writer. What does the artist’s recording agreement say? This affects the producer’s royalty, royalty accountings, mechanical royalties, CD reductions, “fake” free goods and much more.
- Learn what to ask for and what to avoid in your next deal
This program includes two optional PDF documents, these include:
Document #1: 12-page sample music producer form agreement (PDF)
- Fact pattern for music producer deal mock negotiation
- Important deal points to be negotiated
- Tanner’s Top Producing Tips
- Rico Brooks’ Top 5 Tips on Building a Career as a Music Producer
- David W. Prasse’s Producer Agreement Notes
- Hot Button Issues For Producer / Artist Agreements
- Negotiating a Music Producer Agreement: 7 Key Issues
NARIP PROGRAM NUMBER: P494
PROGRAM DATE: May 15, 2019 in Atlanta
PROGRAM TIME: 1 hour, 55 minutes, 58 seconds (1:55:58)
QUESTIONS? Call 818-769-7007 or contact NARIP
SOURCES FOR MORE INFORMATION